Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Thursday Fun: Dream Journals

My very first Thursday Fun post is devoted to a GREAT writing tip that I got from some random, hokey article on dream interpretation that a friend showed me for giggles a few weeks ago.  I've lost the link, but basically the article suggested using a dream journal to record your dreams and use them to "unlock the messages to yourself from your own subconscious!" or some cheesy line like that. 

But it gave me a great writing tip.  

 I don't know about you, but my best story ideas usually come from dreams.  The problem with dreams is that I usually forget them during the course of the day - if I can even remember them past breakfast!  

Keep a notebook right next to your bed and write down what you remember of the previous night as soon as you wake up.  If you don't recall any dreams, say so.  Simply getting into the habit of stopping to think will help.

I have found that if first thing in the morning, I try really hard to remember something that I dreamt, over time I get better at remembering my dreams.  Then, I have a whole notebook of raw material to use for starting or fleshing out stories!

Try keeping a dream journal this weekend and let me know what the results are.

Remember to smile! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment