Thursday, January 5, 2012

We Wish You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

...Five days late...sorry about that.  I've been really busy lately.  Anyways, how was your Christmas?  I had a great Christmas!  I played my harp in the church Christmas program and pigged out at a family dinner.  I got a TON of new books which I am really excited to crack open as soon as I finish the last book of the series I'm reading now (Belgariad - it's awesome, read it!)  Some of the titles I got are:
  • The In the Hall of the Dragon King trilogy
  • Merlin's Harp, which I am SUPER excited to read because nobody writes about harpists.  For those of you who don't already know, I am a harpist who is obsessed with anything harp-related.
  • Inheritance. I've only been waiting for this book for FOUR STINKING YEARS!  And I couldn't send Christopher Paolini hate mail for taking so long because he doesn't give out a way to contact him.  Le sigh.
  • Troubleshooting Your Lever Harp.  Essentially a manual on all the things that can go wrong with your harp, if you can fix them, and what needs professional help.  Every lever harpist I've talked to recommends it.
  • The Mallorean series.  It's set in the same world as Belgariad and is somewhat of a continuation of the story but I assume there are many new characters.  I haven't read it yet so I will have to wait and see... But I love Belgariad so I am thrilled to have more books in the same awesome world.
  • My best friend gave me a graphic novel adaptation of the first Maximum Ride novel.  The art is gorgeous.  (I guess it's time to confess that I'm a die-hard manga/anime fan.  Any other otaku out there?)
I also got a few new sweaters.  Yay!  I love sweaters.  Wearing sweaters is is pretty much the only good thing about winter.  Thankfully, my mom is really good at picking out ones that are super cute but also soft and fluffy.  So, not an itchy sweater in sight!  

My awesome grandparents got me a Kindle!  It's very cool and small so I carry it everywhere.  I don't go anywhere without a book, so it's very handy.  I've already downloaded over 30 free books onto it, including most of the John Carter of Mars series (a movie adaptation if the first book is coming out later this year, I think!) and I've read lots of good reviews on the series so I'll be reading it as soon as I finish all my other books.  Mostly I have just been browsing cheesy, free YA romances and re-reading my Jane Austen favorites on the Kindle when I don't have Belgariad close by.

Did you kiss anyone at midnight on New Years?  I didn't know it was "tradition", or what have you, to kiss someone on midnight on New Years until two days ago.  Oops.  I don't really mind because
1) I don't have a boyfriend - I barely manage to get all my homework done as it is!
2) I was sleeping over at my best friend's house and we were busy playing with her cockatiel, watching movies with hot guys (Prince of Persia and Beastly) and stuffing our faces with Bugles, Chex mix, fizzy drinks, and leftover candy canes. Good times.

What did you all get for Christmas?  Did you have a good New Year?  What is your favorite thing about the winter holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment