Thursday, April 14, 2011

There!

I did it!  I wrote 2 pages of my Screnzy script last night.  Whew.  It was quite the mental workout, I tell you!  I am now 4.44% of the way to my 45-page goal.  Which is great because now I have only 15 days to finish the other 96.66%...

I admit, I was scared that I would do something wrong, that I'd mess up the formatting and that it would turn into a complete mess.  Thanks to my handy-dandy Celtx program, the formatting was pretty easy.  The only thing that is a mess is my actual writing.  But that's ok, because first drafts are normally a mess.

I've never written a script before, and I've heard comic book scripts are tricky but easier than other genres of script at the same time.   

Tricky, because most of the story is carried by the art, and there's not much room for word balloons, so dialogue needs to be short and to the point.  (At least, this will be tricky for me because I tend to be long-winded and use fancy-shmancy words.)  

Easy, because... well, I'll just quote Hope Larson, one of the pep-talkers for YWP Screnzy 2011: "It’s not like screenwriting, where one parenthetical too many or the wrong kind of brads will make or break you. A comic script need only make sense to you, your artist, and your editor." 

I have to say, even though my brain is trying to rebel because I'm trying to force it to think differently (In comic panels and script format simultaneously) I think I will really enjoy this whole scripting business once I get the hang of it.

Now I am really beginning to feel the frenzy that invariably accompanies a writing event with a deadline.  But I guess that's just motivation for me to set aside my latest manga (a Japanese comic) and get writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment